Coordinates all new molding process activities, starting with mold and process design reviews, start up through quality sign off, then continued involvement in process consistency through the production process. The Senior Process Engineer is
additionally involved in troubleshooting, process optimization, auxiliary
equipment, injection molding presses and continuous improvement process.
Essential Job Functions:
Manager of the following departments and or personnel:
- Process setup and optimization of 2 and 3-stage injection molding, using engineered polymers
- Assist with auxiliary equipment operation, optimization, and maintenance
- Design of experiment techniques and setup. Center process and reduce variability.
- Process troubleshooting and optimization per tool, material, and equipment specifications
- Creates and modifies work instructions and procedures to ensure the proper repeatable process is in place for technicians and other operation personnel
- Coordinates with Maintenance Manager on machine/equipment repair, preventative maintenance, troubleshooting, and modifications
- Maintains records and tracks metrics relative to production uptime and scrap
- Implements, audits, and enforces molding parameters in accordance with documented procedures and processing data
- Navigation of ERP system (IQMS)
- Runs vertical, horizontal, rotational and overlay molding machines and processes, including processing multiple core-pull / multiple cavity tooling
- Responsible for writing and creating process documentation
- Hot Runner processing using hot drop and valve gate equipment
- Understanding of quality assurance methodologies
- Ensures molded components meet all product quality criteria including dimensional
- Consistent communication with QC to prevent non-conforming product
- Works with the Operations Manager and Engineering Manager to execute cost reduction strategies and productivity improvement projects
- Responsible for monitoring and reducing process variation
- Responsible for hands-on troubleshooting and process improvement through scientific injection molding techniques and root-cause elimination.
- Responsible for work cell setup and optimization, instruction, documentation, training, etc
- Responsible for determining engineering parameters associated with new opportunities/programs
- Primary and secondary product operations
- Injection mold maintenance and design for standard molding and custom/technical molding
- Assist with 3 and 6-axis robotic programming, operation, and maintenance
- Regular and punctual attendance.
- Perform other responsibilities as needed to support the success of the organization
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Education, Training and/or Experience
- Able to react to change and perform other tasks as assigned
- Reflects a positive professional image, leads with direction and optimism
- Self starter / Motivated
- Able to read and interpret blueprints
- Valve Gate / Mold Master skilled preferred
- Proficient with Scientific Molding
- Proficient with engineered grade resins
- Proficient in the use of calipers and Quality gages
- Four-year degree or certificate from college or technical school or
- Five to ten years of related experience and/or training
- Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Must have comprehensive knowledge and or experience with thermal plastic or resins utilized in injection molding
- Must have extensive knowledge and experience with numerous different sizes and types of molding machines
- Must have basic knowledge and understanding of injection molding tooling
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of employees of organization.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Problem solving skills and analytical thinking.
- Proficient in Inventory Software Program (IQMS desired)
- Proficient with design software: Solidworks, Pro-E, MoldFlow, RJG E-Dart, etc.
- Competent with MS Office programs and Internet