Time: Base schedule of Mon-Fri 8a-4:30p
The Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for supporting manufacturing operations by establishing robust processes, applying advanced problem-solving skills and troubleshooting critical problems, especially those related to injection molding. The Manufacturing Engineer will provide professional guidance in areas of risk assessment, process improvement, and lean manufacturing principles. This role will provide both technical guidance as well as hands-on support for the injection molding process. The Manufacturing Engineer will participate in root cause-corrective action investigations, manufacturing cell design, automation troubleshooting, tooling design and repair, process troubleshooting, and assembly of components. The Manufacturing Engineer will take the lead on training and developing for other technical team members related to manufacturing operations and technical support functions. This role will take the lead on improvements to production processes, cycle times, methods and controls and help with implementation. This position reports directly to the Director of Engineering and Quality and works cross functionally with the following areas: Other Engineering team members on topics related to tooling and tool maintenance, equipment, automation and assembly; Program Development team members to coordinate manufacturing launch for new or revised products; Quality Assurance team members to ensure product specifications are being met; Production team members responsible for executing manufacturing processes; Changeover team members responsible for injection molding process support; Maintenance team members for the implementation, maintenance, and repair of manufacturing equipment. The Manufacturing Engineer must also organize which projects should be tackled first based on their importance by working with the Director of Engineering & Quality, along with other technical team members.
- Sign-On Bonus
- 12 Paid Holidays (including your Birthday)
- 401k with Employer Match
- Comprehensive Benefits (including Medical, Dental, Vision, STD/LTD, Life)
- Paid Parental Leave
- Temperature controlled
Essential Job Functions:
- Setup, troubleshooting and maintenance of manufacturing equipment including injection molding machines, tooling, auxiliary and automation equipment including but not limited to:
- 3-axis and 6-axis robotics
- Collaborative Robots
- Vertical, horizontal, rotational and overlay molding machines and processes, including processing multiple core-pull / multiple cavity tooling
- Hot Runner processing using hot drop and valve gate equipment
- Material handling equipment such as color feeders, hoppers, Gaylord tippers, driers, etc…
- Auxiliary equipment such as thermolators, chillers, hot runner controls
- Automation cells for packaging, machining, and product handling
- Responsible for leading improvement projects and/or corrective action projects to support the company’s strategic goal of continuous improvement and white glove service to Thogus Products clients
- Training and developing new or less experienced technical team members with all aspects of the manufacturing process at Thogus Products; conduct consistent and timely training to expedite the instruction and communication of proper techniques for tasks required of manufacturing and process changeover
- Lead manufacturing efforts with process troubleshooting and optimization according to tool, material, and equipment specifications using scientific molding techniques and root-cause elimination
- Application of design of experiment and troubleshooting techniques. Most understand and deploy Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA) model.
- Responsible for writing and creating process documentation
- Creation and modification of work instructions and procedures to ensure the proper repeatable process is in place for technicians and other operation personnel
- Participate as an active member of the Program Launch team on engineering sample runs, tool evaluations, and process capability and/or validation
- Constant collaboration with Quality Assurance team members to prevent non-conforming product and ensure products meet customer expectations. Provide input and knowledge when needed as it relates to Quality Assurance principles and methods.
- Lead investigations in process variation, production uptime and scrap metrics, proactive approach to address trending issues to ensure desirable performance results
- Participate as a stakeholder in Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Engineering Change Orders (ECO), and Root Cause Corrective Action (8D C/A)
- Provide guidance to Maintenance team members on machine/equipment repair, preventative maintenance, troubleshooting, and modifications
- Works with the Director of Engineering & Quality to execute cost reduction strategies and productivity improvement projects
- Delegation and use of ERP system (IQMS/DelmiaWorks) as it relates specifically to job related activities
- Evaluation, implementation and optimization of primary and secondary product operations such as: assembly, decorating, degating, trimming, inserting (welding, staking, etc…)
- Regular and punctual attendance
- Perform other responsibilities as needed to support the success of the organization
Carries out responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws
- On a regular basis, the Manufacturing Engineer will receive feedback and coaching from all levels of the organization.
- Supports all technical team members to ensure reliability / improvement of tooling, equipment and molding processes
- Interprets specifications and requirements and helps with professional communication of customer requirements to the organization
- Attends / participates / in some cases, will lead in team training meetings
- Responsible for supporting, and in some cases leading, troubleshooting activities to ensure resolution of issues, both internal and external.
- Maintains and enforces a strict clean, safe work environment by ensuring adherence to safety policies and rules.
Manager/Supervisor of the following departments and or personnel:
- Not Applicable – no direct reports for this position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Technical skills and knowledge in manufacturing processing, industrial automation & robotics, industrial equipment, and tooling
- Experience with plastics processing including experience with engineered grade resins and with decoupled processing is preferred
- Experience with scientific molding and/or the willingness to study the principles and best practices of the industry
- Statistical analysis and root caused-based problem solving
- Knowledge of quality assurance principles and methodologies
- Able to read and interpret blueprints
- Able to react to change and perform other tasks as assigned
- Reflects a positive professional image, leads with direction and optimism, team-focused
- Self-starter / Motivated / Open to learning and professional growth
- Experience mentoring and motivating a group with a diverse set of skills and education levels
- Dependable and adaptable, ability to be flexible with working hours to support and train 24-hour team
- Safety minded (OHSA policies) and experienced with Lean manufacturing
Education, Training and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s Engineering Degree with applicable curriculum and/or technical school with plastics focus preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge and or experience with plastics resins utilized in injection molding.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with numerous different sizes and types of injection molding machines is preferred. General manufacturing experience is required.
- Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of injection molding tooling is preferred.
- Intermediate to Advanced knowledge of robotic systems is preferred.
- Willing to take on additional training to develop technical and non-technical skills that supports the organization and growth of the individual.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of employees
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Methodical and organized problem-solving skills through the use of analytical thinking.
- Intermediate level experience with CAD, i.e. Solidworks
- Proficient in MS Office programs, Internet, and email communication
- Proficient in or willing to learn Enterprise Resource Program (Inventory control) Software (IQMS/DelmiaWorks preferred)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to
- Stand and walk
- Reach with hands and use hands to finger, handle, or feel
- The employee may be required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl
- The employee is occasionally required to sit and climb or balance
- The employee may be required to lift and /or move up to 50 pounds
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception
Thogus’ Core Values
Passion – Desire to make a positive impact and inspire others to do the same.
Honest and Integrity -Doing the right thing even when no one is watching.
Dedication-Team focused to execute tasks with a positive attitude, sense of significance, and enthusiasm.
Mutual Respect- Considerate of others’ ideas, feelings, beliefs, or property; giving it even if you don’t get it.
The Edge- Commitment to adaptation, breaking tradition, and accepting change.